Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Floating

Tori learns a little bit of swimming every time she goes swimming with someone other than Rebekah and me. For some reason, she doesn't learn when we are there. This weekend, grandma & grandpa had her in the pool twice a day. And she's learning fast.

One of the hardest swimming lessons for her, and perhaps for many of us, is to learn how to float. It requires surrender . . . and trust that the water will actually support us. I watch her as she tries to be in control of the "floating" and sinks. I see her struggle to let go and trust the water . . . which is when the magic happens. Floating is actually relaxing when we learn how to do it.

I was reminded of the larger realities of spiritual life as I watched her learn to trust the water and float. I saw myself kicking and struggling to be in control when the true magic, the true relaxation comes in trusting. Someday I'll learn how it's done.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tera said...

Mass + density = I have a hard time floating. Letting go is the easy part, fighting gravity is a pain in the butt. I do however think that until I fully die and it is Christ that lives in me alone, floating will be second nature.

12:06 PM  
Blogger darren said...

Being 25 & wearing water-wings is nothing to be ashamed of...I feel her pain. Congrats on making law review.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home