Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Oasis in the Desert

I spent Saturday & part of Sunday in Primm with our Apex Elders, and with our friend/mentor Mike Steele from Colorado. It was a meaningful time. We prayed. We ate. We encouraged each other. We ate more. We concerned ourselves about many of you. We ate again.

I wanted to write and share the essence of what we "heard" as we were together, because it was very good. Yet I couldn't come up with words that would do it justice. Instead, I want to share what I am learning by being with Mike. I hope I am able to become more like this, and even find a way to lead our community to be more like this as well. Here's what he has indirectly challenged me/us to do:

1) Listen to God: Whenever we aren't sure what to do next, stop & take a minute to seek Father. This can be over issues as profound as whether or not to move to another city, change careers, or get married. It can also be over issues as simple as whether to warm up leftovers or to go out to dinner. At times, God may not care what choice we make. But, then again, He may give us subtle guidance when we least expect it. And when we do "hear" something from Him, to just do it.

2) Speak Identity & Destiny Into Each Other: When we are together with others, taking time regularly to tell them what we see in them, and what they are destined to become. This feels weird until we get into the habit of doing it. This could be us telling our spouse or kids exaclty who we see them becoming. It could also be a reminder to a friend or a new acquaintance of who we see them as, or as what unique aspects they bring to our lives. When Mike does this, it usually turns involves touching & praying, though I'm sure it could be done in subtler ways as well. I don't know of a "house church" that has done this regularly that did not end up being very healthy. (and, the opposite applies as well)

3) Live Fully in Each Moment: After spending 12 hours with Mike & everyone else on Saturday, I laid awake in bed for three hours or so while my brain processed all that had happened. He commented the next day that he had fallen to sleep immediately and woke up hearing from God exactly what he needed to hear for the coming day. Some of this may be a mere personality difference, but some of it may be a learned ability to trust God in each moment of life without the need to anxiously worry about what's ahead, nor the need to dwell on what has already transpired. I'm miles away from getting this one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home