Monday, December 08, 2003

OK, this is weird. Read the entry below this first if you haven't.

Today, just 24-hours after talking to Kyle for the first time in 14 years, I got a fortune cookie at Grand China that read "You achieve great peace of mind when you talk with an old friend." I've never been silenced by a fortune cookie before. It also has lucky numbers printed on it. Maybe I should play Keno tonight?





For the first time since 1989
Today I talked to one of my best friends from high school, Kyle Hanrahan, for the first time since I graduated in 1989. I didn't really intend for that much time to go by, but I found it very emotional and meaningful to be back in touch with him.

I think it is fitting that we are getting back in touch at this time in my life. In 1989 I walked away from everything to pursue a call (I guess, I'm not really sure what that word means) to vocational ministry. I moved away from family, and lost touch with most of my friends at that time. I kind of stepped into a new life on the day I started at Cincinnati Bible College. It has been worth it. I made some great new friends who have turned out to be life-long friends. My relationship with my family is stronger now than it was then even though we are thousands of miles apart. God has used "vocational ministry" to make a huge impact, though now I realize that most of the impact was probably on me. Now, as I continue to work in ministry but to also take classes in a law school, I feel like I have been allowed to return to 1989, in a sense, but this time prepared to be who I am really called to be. It would take pages to unpack what that means, but getting back in touch with Kyle is very fitting. I don't think I'll wait another 14 years to call him again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home