Monday, May 12, 2003

I am an introvert.
Psychologists tell me that means that I draw my energy from being alone and expend my energy by being with other people. Many of you who read this are among the people I love the most, and the ones with whom I am most comfortable spending time. I'm less an introvert than I used to be thanks to some of you. Still, I'm by nature a loner. I could go on a week's vacation by myself every year and thoroughly enjoy it (though I've yet to find a way to make this happen). If I am with people from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed for several days in a row, I get very anxious and negative, and find that I need to get away by myself for at least a few hours or I don't cope well with life. Sometimes I show up at a function where lots of people are and I start feeling that way, so I end up hiding out in the corner pretty much by myself. I feel guilty about it, but I don't mind it on a personal level. I often want those around me to know that I do love them, that I do enjoy spending time with them, but by my very nature, I am an introvert.

There is a spiritual side to being an introvert, but I'll save that for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home