Saturday, April 18, 2009

Reflecting (on) What’s Wrong

(Part Six of an ongoing series. Starts with prior posts below)


Another note

It only rarely happens. Real connection with God. Spiritual experience. Getting in tune. Whatever you want to call it. Some believe it never happens, that it is all sensationalism or emotionalism. Others believe it should happen, that it must happen constantly, or we are not really His people. I was raised believing something in between. But I don’t write to debate that topic. I write to share my story, to the best of my ability to understand.

This is what we long for. To truly be loved. To truly be led somewhere by our God. In all my years of institutional church life, and I was an addict of sort, I can count on one hand the number of moments where something truly spiritual was going on between a group of people I was involved with and God.

I sensed it on that short term mission trip to Honduras. I sensed it in New Mexico with a group of close friends seeking his face. I sensed it at a worship concert once in northern Indiana. I sensed it in a few early morning prayer meetings with close friends. But these, and a few other moments, were the exceptions, not the rule.

And moving our meetings from an auditorium to a living room does not guarantee real connection between us and our Father. In the end, we depend on Him, we wait on Him to move among us and do things. We can’t make it happen. And for whatever reasons, it seems to happen rarely these days. We see only a trickle of the roaring waterfall. I’m not sure why, but I know it is true. Still, we trust, we believe, we wait, and we hope. Or, put another way,

Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home